Social Media Education Blog
Social School 101 has collected even more books to add to the summer reading list for families. Our latest selections are filled with fabulous ideas on how to turn those long summer days into exciting moments meant to be shared. We have some wonderful solutions to that age old statement you have heard many times before, “I am bored, I have nothing to do all day.” Now, is the time to start your list of summer activities and we have some great recommendations.
This month in our summer reading list for families we have four you can choose from. Last month we shared four of our favorites to give your summer a jumpstart. You can review them here. We just had one problem when we started our search for ideas. We could not limit our favorites to just a handful. Lucky you! We found an abundance of books written by talented parents just waiting to share their great ideas.
Summer Reading List
Fifteen Minutes Outside is filled with ideas to create quality time outside away from digital devices. It includes ideas organized by monthly chapters.
Family Reading Night allows parents to start a new tradition and instill a love of reading. Wouldn’t it be great if more families started doing this?
The Creative Family is a small little book with fun crafts and ways to incorporate creativity into your family.
Family Fun Night is the alternative to television that you have been searching for. You will find fun ideas to try, projects, and games.
We have shared our favorites for our second summer reading list. Do you have any you would like to add to the list?
Our Top Picks For Summer Vacation
Social School 101 has a great summer book list full of creative ideas to keep kids entertained on their summer vacation. We have created our featured reading list of top picks for summer vacation to get you started on the months and days to come.
Are you wondering how you will keep the kids entertained all summer? If you are trying to avoid countless hours spent in front of digital screens or the television, we have some great suggestions. It is time to start planning ahead for activities to keep kids entertained during the summer vacation season. With busy Moms and Dads in mind, we have a selection of books offering great tips.
Summer vacation can be a time to create rich memories and also develop new interests. These books will spark some ideas so you can begin to plan the best summer vacation ever. We had a difficult time deciding on our favorite. In fact, we will be offering more selections for summer vacation in the weeks ahead. Stay tuned for more great reads. We think you have a hard time picking a favorite!
Wishing you a wonderful summer vacation season to come!
All the selections can be found on Amazon.
10 Dangerous Mistakes Kids Make On Social Media, created by Social School 101 is the essential resource to help protect children online and also to create confident Digital Parents.The best part is that this essential parenting tool is absolutely free! That’s right a free ebook for parents! It is just one of the many social media education tools we offer and you can find it here. Digital Parenting is essential to protect your children online. You cannot always be there looking over their shoulder but you can begin to add guidelines if you know what your children and teens should avoid doing online. Your children will never remember a time without the Internet, digital devices, cell phones, or apps. It is easy to see why so many parents feel their children know more about technology than they do. Parents need to take action and learn digital skills to better engage with their children and feel confident about keeping their children safe online. Until now, many parents have been reluctant to learn, do not know where to find answers, or just feel that the digital world has passed them by. This is your opportunity to become confident and informed about technology with the 10 Dangerous Mistakes Kids Make On Social Media. At first glance social media looks very exciting to children. It is filled with new places and people. It can be private or it can be public. It can easily be all consuming unless boundaries are established. Social media has many different venues: Face Time, Skype, Facebook, Kik, Instagram, and Twitter just to name a few. With all these different platforms comes different rules for engagement and many times kids and teens do not understand the potential dangers of engaging on social media and different platforms.
10 Dangerous Mistakes Kids Make On Social Media
And it is absolutely free!
The Internet has made it possible for children, tweens, and teens to:
Meet strangers and predators online and offline
Be exposed to online pornography
Be bullied to the point of suicide
Send sexually explicit photos of themselves or others
Make dangerous mistakes like sharing their location and
advertising it to a global community
Ruin their reputation online before they have ever have a chance
to be a teenager, go to college, or get a job
Remember that this is a free ebook. Be sure and share this informative guide with other parents, friends, and co-workers. We all need to join together to keep our kids safe online. Our goal at Social School 101 is to create confident and empowered Digital Parents by providing simplified solutions and products. Our goal is to broaden, expand, elevate, and increase digital literacy. We believe every parent can make a difference.
10 Dangerous Mistakes Kids Make on Social Media
And it is absolutely free!
If your children know more about technology than you do, it is time for you to make the change and become a Digital Parent. Discover articles, educational tools and much more at Social School 101 and get started today! Here are a few more articles you may want to view:
What do you know about online pornography?
Online porn, imposters posing as children online, sexual predators, and cyber stalking all contribute to sexual assault. Many times children are exposed to online porn simply by clicking an interesting link. Through no fault of their own, they are exposed to online pornography because the Internet is not regulated. With more people accessing the Internet everyday, we thought it would be helpful to research the current statistics about pornography on the Internet. Parents need to be informed about the dangers of online porn and how it impacts children. We have collected some interesting facts that you may want to share with other parents.
10 Shocking Facts About Online Porn
Although this is not a subject that many parents would like to discuss, it is necessary to know about the risk of online pornography. It exists and we all need to be informed about the dangers. We were surprised and shocked at the findings.
- It is estimated that 12% of all online sites are pornographic. That equates to approximately 24 million websites!
- 28,000 people view porn online every second.
- Men between the ages of 18-24 are the largest consumers of pornography.
- 1 in 3 viewers are women.
- In the U.S., Utah has the highest number of porn subscribers.
- World wide, it is estimated that online pornography is a 5 billion dollar a year business.
- 25% of all search engine requests relate to pornography.
- It is estimated that approximately 200,000 Americans are addicted to pornography.
- At what age do people first see porn online? 11
- How many Americans regularly view porn online? 40 million
Iceland is currently considering legislation to ban all access of online pornographic images and videos by young people through smartphones, digital tablets, or computers. Where do you stand on their approach to protecting children from pornography? Do you think the U. S. would ever consider similar legislation?
10 Benefits of the Social Media Dictionary is a list that will convince you that you can always learn something new. So, what are the 10 benefits and how will they help you navigate social media more confidently?
The Social Media Dictionary is a comprehensive go-to reference guide with over 2,000 of the latest trending definitions, Twitter abbreviations, Instagram hashtags, acronyms for texting, and emoticons, all assembled into one resource. This comprehensive book enables users to communicate confidently in the Digital Age. It will boost digital competence for increased opportunities and is essential for elevating digital literacy skills to improve our schools, communities, and our workforce. The Internet is not slowing down requiring users to speed up or risk being left behind.”
Consider that there are over 2.4 billion global users online and the numbers continue to grow. The number of digital devices: smartphones, digital tablets, and computers, now exceeds the number of people living on the planet. As connectivity expands further around the globe, the online vocabulary will continue to be invented at a faster rate throughout the world. According to a recent study by Ofcom, an average six year old has the same knowledge of technology as a 45 year old. Digital literacy for business professionals, parents, and baby boomers, will benefit greatly by using the Social Media Dictionary.
10 Benefits of the Social Media Dictionary
- The language of the Internet and social media has grown exponentially and digital communication forces the adoption of new words.
- Digital Natives, people born after 1980, are fluent with technology, texting, and Twitter yet still need a resource to stay up to date. Digital Immigrants, people born before 1980, need an instant reference manual for modern terminology and engaging in the digital conversation.
- The book increases digital literacy and will boost technical competence for increased opportunities to compete in the global marketplace.
- The dictionary helps in avoiding embarrassing social blunders online.
- It gives quick access to texting abbreviations, Twitter terms, emoticons, characters, and social media definitions.
- It bridges the digital gap that exists between seasoned business professionals and Millennials in the workplace.
- It helps students understand what their peers are communicating online.
- It aids teachers and school administrators in understanding what students are communicating online.
- It helps parents decode texting language on their child’s phone.
- The Social Media Dictionary enables digital communication in multiple formats: Twitter, texting, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and more.
What steps can parents take to protect their children from cyber bullying? The first step a proactive parent can take is to be informed on the issues. Cyber bullying is a result of any online threats, intimidation, offensive language, continued harassment, or sexual exploitations aimed at your child. Here are some suggestions to follow if a cyber bullying incident occurs with your child.
Cyber Bullying Prevention Checklist
- Before an incident, talk with your children about specific people they should tell if someone makes them feel uncomfortable online. You may not always be available so this role playing gives them a chance to think ahead if an incident were to occur. It could be another parent, teacher, or coach. The important thing is they know they should notify someone right away. Talking about it ahead of time gives them a plan to implement.
- Tell your child not to engage in a hateful online debate even though it may be tempting to respond. Many times others are trying to lure a victim into a flame war.
- Watch your child for noticeable signs of distress. If their behavior changes or they do not want to go to school, you should be asking why.
- Keep records. If the cyber bullying occurs over the phone, then make a recording if possible. Log the time of day and how many times your child is being contacted.The same goes for texting.
- If the threats occur online, take a screen shot. Print off all evidence.
- Request a meeting with your child’s teacher and school administrator. Both should be present and be aware of the situation in the event it is occurring at school.
- Many times schools will not get involved if the cyber bullying is not happening on school grounds. If that is the case go immediately to your local law officials in your area and register your complaint. Take all evidence as proof.
- Consider contacting a lawyer if you feel you need to know your rights or if your child is not getting protection.
Our children need to be protected from bullies. If you have a cyber bullying incident, do not hesitate to take action to prevent it. Here is an Online Safety Checklist for Parents. To view an informative infographic on How To Deal With Cyber Bullying just click this link.
We all need to work together to prevent cyber bullying!
Let’s be honest. Do you spy on your children’s social accounts? Are you checking their Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter feed to see what they are posting? Do you worry about cyber bullying and feel it is your parental right to protect your child by viewing their social platforms?
Many parents, on the other hand, feel that monitoring their child’s social media is an invasion of privacy. Others are clueless about technology and just cross your fingers hoping their child will not fall victim to online mistakes, cyber bullying, sexting, or harassment. Which category do find yourself?
Online Hazards To Think About
- Over sharing important personal of family information.
- Revealing birth date, social security, or credit card information.
- Announcing when parents we be away from the house.
- Posting their location to online predators
- Sharing images on line that could lead to sexting or sexual shaming.
This is a very short list of potential dangers that children may fall victim to. These five are just enough to send any parent over the edge but isn’t it better to think about them now and be proactive than to find your child in a compromising situation that has potentially hazardous consequences?
Being a parent has never been harder. Being a Digital Parent requires a whole new skill level. Social School 101 creates smarter parents every day. Do you consider it spying on your children’s online accounts or is it just good parenting knowing that you want to be better informed about what your children are doing? Many parents spy on their children’s social accounts and never admit it to anyone. Parents want to know if their children kept their profile set to private, if they over shared personal information online, or they want to know if their children are victims of cyber bullying. That is just the beginning of a long list of worries for today’s parents.
Spy On Your Children’s Social Media Accounts ?
Social School 101 receives numerous requests from parents wanting to know how to monitor their children’s social platforms and is it okay to spy on their children’s online accounts. Just to be clear, this is our opinion. Yes, you have ever right to look at your children’s online accounts but here is the the most important point to remember.
2. Tell your children that they must friend you and you will monitor their account on a regular basis.
3. We recommend getting monitoring software that will send alerts on profanity, sexting, and bullying.
Being a Digital Parent requires all the help you can get to stay informed. This letter from a parent gives further information for parents to share with others. What is your opinion? See what other parents are doing in this great infographic.
Sexual shaming is also known as slut shaming. It refers to revealing explicit nude photos, compromising videos, bragging about sexual conquests, or rating girls on their willingness to have sex and placing all the details online. The images, text, or video, once posted on social platforms like Facebook or Snapchat go viral. Other people find these images in their feed. Commenting, rating, and sharing, the pictures spreads through social media. The victim, many times unaware until someone tells them, has been sexually shamed and her sexual encounter has been publicly displayed similar to placing it on a billboard for everyone to view. Sexual shaming involves a victim, harassment, and it occurs online just like cyber bullying. Sexual shaming has devastating effects on the victim. It is not exclusive to females but can also reveal compromising photos or videos of males as well. In some cases, suicide has been the result of online humiliation.
How Sexual Shaming Occurs
How does the individual become a victim to this? Often the victim was recorded without knowing it. The victim was recorded with a hidden camera or photos were taken with a cellphone. The perpetrator shares it with his or her friends who share it with more friends. Many times girls “shame” other girls. Collectively, they form a group to criticize the victim. This is known as victim blaming and brings another negative element on top of the public exposure.
You can easily see where college students, high school students, or teens would be vulnerable. You can see how easy it is to spread the malicious pictures online. Young adults are meeting many new friends from various backgrounds and many times they have entered a world of independence with little supervision. Do not think, however, that sexual shaming is just occurring to young adults. It is also happening to middle school students as well.
Bystanders or Upstanders?
There needs to be more awareness about sexual shaming. Just like cyber bullying, there are always bystanders and upstanders. We need to encourage everyone involved to be upstanders and stop the victimization.
Social Media 101 is for the person in each of us that has secretly wished that someone would take the mystery out of social media and just give us the basic understanding of digital communication without all the confusion. Do you have difficulty knowing which is the latest platform everyone seems to be gravitating towards? Are you baffled by texting acronyms? Does your digital I. Q. suffer? Are you lost when people start using tech speak? If digital literacy and tech speak leave you scratching your head then we have created a book with you in mind. Social Media 101, the essential guide to understanding the digital world we all live in, can be found in the Social Media Dictionary a Modern Guide to Social Media, Texting, and Digital Communication.
Social Media 101- The Basics:
Digital literacy has never been so essential for modern communication and now it is so easy with this remarkably informative reference guide. Everything you ever wanted to know has been assembled in one comprehensive handbook. You will quickly access:
- The latest trending social media terms
- Acronyms for texting, characters, emoticons, and numbers
- Abbreviations for Twitter
- Instagram hashtags and Texting numbers explained
- social media definitions
Discover a complete go-to reference guide that you will use again and again. In this edition, you will quickly gain the knowledge to participate in the fast changing world of social media and digital communication.
- Transform your communication skills with this easy to use resource
- Avoid social blunders, gain confidence, and increase your digital literacy
- Boost your technical competence for increased opportunities
- Never feel left out of the conversation because you do not know the digital language everyone is speaking
The language of the Internet and social media has grown exponentially and digital communication forces the adoption of new words, platforms, and technical competence. You will never feel embarrassed because you do not know how to navigate the digital landscape. You do not have to remain lost or feel you have a digital gap when it comes to understanding the Internet. This modern guide will give you everything you need to know and is perfect for anyone requiring a digital update: business professionals, students, parents, or grandparents.
Don’t get left behind! Get the number one resource everyone needs to own in the Digital Age. Join the digital conversation today.
Blogs and students
Blogs can be very beneficial in the classroom and can create a much richer experience for students. Blogging offers many ways for students to participate in hands on skills and learn by active participation. Positive learning is the key and a classroom blog can improve communication and engagement. Social School 101 has a list of ten reasons why your child should have a blog at their school.
Benefits of a classroom blog:
- Provide a chronological timeline of events, subjects, or interests they study throughout the year
- Blogs are inclusive allowing everyone to participate in posting information and commenting
- Increases communication between the teacher and the parents by incorporating a section on classroom news
- Allows teachers to post assignments outside of class and it allows students to ask questions outside of class
- Teaches the proper way to communicate and assist in digital etiquette
- Increases student’s confidence by knowing computer skills
- Teaches proper structure, grammar, and punctuation
- Students can collaborate on projects and learn how to contribute
- It teaches students 3 important steps: stop, think, edit, before hitting send
- Students learn how to share content by posting videos, images, links, interviews, and conducting online surveys
Be sure and share this list of the 10 valuable benefits of a classroom blog with other parents. Blogging and students are a great combination!
If Pinterest in the classroom is of interest to you then you will want to learn the benefits here:http://www.socialschool101.com/dear-ms-social-pinterest-in-the-classroom/