Cyber bullying is one area all parents are concerned about. We would like to share several great apps that you should know about. Here are a few questions for you to think about:
Would you monitor your child to prevent cyber bullying if you had the opportunity? Are you worried that they are vulnerable? Many parents have these same fears. It is estimated that every seven minutes a child is bullied. Almost 60% of children admit to not telling their parents or another adult when they were threated online. How do we protect our children from cyber bullying when they are afraid to let us know they are being harassed?
We have a list of seven apps for you to consider. These apps allow you to monitor your child’s texts, emails, social accounts like Facebook and Twitter, and smartphones. Some charge a monthly fee. Each provides a variety of services. Find one that you are comfortable using. I think these offer a preventative measure that allows parents to help their child before things get out of hand.
Cyber Bullying Apps Parents Should Know:
1. Bully Block This app allows a child to report, block, or record a bully. It can capture inappropriate emails, which can be used as evidence. This evidence can be given to school authorities or a Human Resources department if someone is being harassed in the workplace.
2. Find Help on Facebook Add a bookmark on your child’s Facebook account under the title “Find Help.” This gives you and your child instant help by providing phone numbers and links when an urgent problem needs to be reported.
3. Go Go Stat This app allows you to try it for free. It will monitor activity on your child’s Facebook account.
4. Safety Web This allows you the ability to track and monitor texts and instant messages. In addition to monitoring cellphones, they also patrol Facebook, My Space, and Twitter.
5. Social Shield They offer a free program and a paid service. This app searches social networks looking for alerts. They monitor inappropriate language, drugs, sex, violence, and the addition of suspicious contacts/friends. It also searches photos that have been posted about your child.
6. U Know Kids this app monitors Facebook, My Space, Twitter, and Instagram. They also monitor all mobile phones: Android, iPhone, and Blackberry.
7. Mobicip this parental control app allows parents to set up anInternet filter that can monitor the computer or smartphone.
8. Net Nanny This is not an app but a software package that you purchase. It protects against pornography, cyber bullying, and online predators. It monitors your child’s social networks and instant messages.
We all need to work together to protect our children. Please share this list with other parents as one more step in trying to prevent cyber bullying.
Social School 101 is helping parents, children, and teens, to be prepared for a great school year!