Move over Millennials and meet the Instant Generation born in the early 1990s. You can easily identify them because their eyes are usually laser focused on the screen in front of them. They have the ability to engage over many devices and multi-tasking is never a problem. They are hyper-connected and can instantly engage with not only their friends but with a global online audience. The Instant Generation appears to be tech savvy but many times they do not realize some of their online activities could lead to serious consequences.
5 Characteristics Of The Instant Generation
Although they are normally referred to as the Internet Generation, I believe a more appropriate distinction is the Instant Generation.
1. Using multiple digital devices they can receive, send, text, download, photo, and socialize….instantly.
2. They can search for answers, usually from doing a Google search, ….instantly.
3. They get bullied, start flame wars, and sext, ….instantly.
4. It is incredible easy to make very public online mistakes….instantly.
5. They are the Instant Generation and whether they realize it or not, they are leaving a lasting impression every time they go online….instantly.
69% of kids say they know how to hide what they do online from their parents. McAfee Research
Lacking the ability to project into the future, adolescents are creating a permanent digital record every day. Adolescents many times cannot comprehend a digital legacy because they only live for today. Yet, the online explorations of the Instant Generation are being forever recorded and stored on servers, something they never think about.
Try to remember what it was like to be 8, 10, or 15. Would you want a permanent record of your life? Are you providing guidance to make certain your child’s digital impression is one they will be proud of?